Saturday, April 17, 2010

Day 30

I was in a deep sleep when I heard some loud voices outside. I got up and looked out the window and there were cars parked up and down the street like someone was having a huge party.......our sub division was having a community garage sale. Most of my neighbors participated but the Flanigan's did not. Our house was used a parking lot. I just can't do the garage sale thing. I am no good at it. I end up giving everything away. I just feel so bad for some of the people that show up and when they ask how much, I say, oh that's free. And if they have kids with them, forget it, I just put the stuff in their car for them. When I was moving out of my last house we had a pool table in our garage that we were going to sell at our garage sale. This nice young married couple came up, the husband really wanted the pool table but the wife said they could not afford it. I was going to stand my ground and not go any cheaper......I mean it was in great condition and it was a pool table!!!!! They were so nice, I told him that if I did not sell it for the price I had on it by 2:00 he could have it for way cheaper. Well he pulls up at 2:00, I had not sold it so I gave it to him. He came back with a truck and some friends and they picked it up and took off. I can't do garage sales.

When I went out to leave for my gym and swim, every neighbor had tents up with clothes hanging and shoes and purses and stuff that every shopper was going through. I got out of there. When I came back, it was all over. I pulled up some more little trees in my lawn (don't plant oak trees) and then came in to balance my checkbook. Now don't judge me but I still do it the old fashion way. With a calculator and a pen. I have tried Quicken and it never works for me. So I do it by hand. I then got ready for church because I was cantoring tonight.

Call me a heathen but I sang the song " I Can Only Imagine" and after the song I got applause by the congregation and it was so nice to hear that applause.......I know, that is so wrong to enjoy the applause you get in church when you are singing for God but I did. After church, I came home and scooted around on my but to brush my pool and skim the top. Lexi was going to sleep over a friends house so Karen and I went to a movie. We saw " The Bounty Hunter".....it was okay, not close to being as good as "Date Night". We just got home so now I am off to bed. But not before I share this quote with all of you that reminded me of my garage sale failures:

We learn wisdom from failure much more than success. We often discover what we will do, by finding out what we will not do.(we will not do garage sales)
Samuel Smiles

No comments:

Post a Comment