Saturday, April 10, 2010

Day 23

Woke up in Fort Lauderdale today too early. Lexi had to be at the stage for her dance competition at 8 so it was up at 6 for hair and make up. And then I had to get Lexi ready. Only kidding, Karen did her hair and make up. We left at 7:30 because Karen hates to be a minute late and it was a good thing because thanks to map quest, we got lost a bit. I dropped them off and then I went back to the hotel to get my free breakfast. There was no way after listening to Sister Act last night that I was not going to benefit from it. So there I am at a buffet, on crutches and NO ONE offered to help carry my plate or my bowl of oatmeal. They all just watched. I ate, left my coupon and was on my way to the gym when Karen called and said that they were starting early with the group numbers. So detour back to the stage. I got there just in time to see the first number. As I sat there all day watching my daughter dance, I could not believe the passion she put into all of her numbers. The joy of being on stage and dancing just oozed from her soul. If she were on center, I would swear I was watching me. She was always one away from center. Close enough.......for now.

The competition ended and we got all of the awards, most of them 1st place and platinum, a few high golds and one second place. All in all a very decorated day. We packed up the car (and when I say we I mean Karen) and we were on our way home about 2 hours earlier than we thought. Being hungry on the way home, we pulled into a Turnpike service center to get something to eat. It was either Earl of Gray, KFC, Cheeseburger-Cheeseburger or Pizza. Well Earl of Gray sounded great....white bread only, so it was KFC, they have grilled chicken.........but not on the Turnpike. So it was original recipe and take off the skin. Boy did that bring back memories of about 20 years ago. The tables were dirty and Karen asked the attendant if she could wipe the tables off......poor thing must have thought she said "could you cut off your arm and give me your first born" because she was not pleased. So she wiped off the dirty table....on to the benches where we were going to sit. ARE YOU KIDDING ME????? We got some napkins and did it ourselves before she turned into Aileen Wuornos.

We ate and pottied and were back on the road for another hour and fifteen. When we got home, it was unpack and get to bed. But I had to stop and write before I went to bed. I do want to say that today is my Great Nephew Jack's first birthday. My niece/God daughter Jen's son. How can it be that the little girl I took to the beach when I was 17 now has two children? My how time flies. Enjoy every minute of it. Before I know it, Lexi will be walking down the isle and I will be wishing for the dance competition days again. Is it like the quote says:
The whole of life is but a moment of time. It is our duty, therefore to use it, not to misuse it.
Plutarch

No comments:

Post a Comment