Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Day 6

You know when you try so hard to be careful, there is that one moment that passes that just messes things up. I went out on an outing today with Karen to get some tickets to upcoming shows at the Bob Carr Performing Arts Center. It was nice to get out and I really did not have to walk far at all. Karen pulls into our driveway and lets me out before parking in the garage. I start walking when my right crutch slips out from under me and I fall stepping onto my broken leg. I fell to the ground to take the weight off of my foot and began to curse like I have never before. Of course every curse word that came out was spelled with a "PH" and not an "F". I got up and got in the house and Karen called the doctor to see if they wanted to see me. Tomorrow is my 2 week check up anyway so they said just keep it elevated and ice it if I saw any swelling.

We took the boot off and unwrapped the leg and there was no swelling, just some pressure, so we iced it anyway and I have not moved since. I HAVE TO PEE!!!! I am now so afraid to move on my crutches. It was not bad enough that my new found rubber allergy had turned my hands and armpits into monster looking skin diseases due to the rubber on the crutches, but now I can't even walk on them without fearing that I might fall. UGH!!!!! The doctor prescribed me to get a knee walker which is like a walker on wheels with a place to put your hurt legs knee so that you can walk with the one good leg and roll with the bad leg. My insurance did not cover that and it cost $800.00 so needless to say, crutches it is.

Because of Lexi's upcoming dance competition, Karen is at the studio for hours on end with her and I am home alone, hungry with a full bladder. She does make me food before she goes but we all know how much I eat. She brings me water and the phones, gives me a kiss and off she goes. So many people said "if you need anything call me" but I hate to ask for someone to drive here to help me go to the bathroom. (Karen just called and said she was on her way home and had nothing planned for dinner so I ordered Chinese)

Today (other than the above) I went to the gym with Kyle and his friend and then have been working on my book most of the day. I did talk with my friend Chris who lives in Scotland over Ichat. We had a full voice conversation like we were in the same room. I don't have a camera on my laptop otherwise we would have done a video chat. Isn't modern technology amazing. Today I leave you with this quote:
Life is like a game of cards. The hand that is dealt you represents determinism; the way you play it is free will.
by Jawaharal Nehru

No comments:

Post a Comment